Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Food Filosophy

Everyone's got one, right?

For years, I was vegetarian/vegan. Also, everything had to be organic.  I honestly don't know how I afforded it, but I sure was attached to it.  

Due to some health complaints, I was gently led down the path to eating eggs, meat and dairy.  On that journey, I discovered that excess sugar and carbs were probably partly responsible for my health issues. So I followed a sugar-free, mostly grain-free diet for several years. As my health issues subsided, I gradually liberalized my diet. 

Then I married a pasta-lover who likes to eat things like top ramen and tater tot casserole.  Now, the old me might have tried to shame him into eating my way.  But you know, health is more than just eating the "right way," whatever that is. I'd rather sit down together with my husband and eat tater tot casserole, than have us each "fending for ourselves" for meals.  (It also helps that my husband is a hippie-at-heart who is equally happy with quinoa black bean burgers, homemade hummus and salad greens).

So for what it's worth, I guess I would describe myself as a: budget-conscious, health-aware, non-obsessed, don't-run-to-the-store-for-one-ingredient, enjoy-a-two-hour-kitchen-challenge, but-have-two-kids kind of cook.  But maybe that describes a lot of normal people!

Happy eating!


No comments:

Post a Comment