Search This Blog

Saturday, April 15, 2017

Blogging is weird


So many things I should/could be doing right now while the baby is asleep and the older two kids are being entertained by Daddy.  But no, I'm gonna sit down and write a blog post about blogging that maybe someone in the Ukraine and my husband will read. What the... Why?!


I love to read blogs.  I always sort of thought I'd like to write one, but it always felt so narcissistic to me. I'm not really an expert on anything, so what? Write about my life, the weird thoughts tumbling around in my head?

If you read blog posts about "how to start a blog," what you come away with is that before you start a blog, you must buy your own domain name, buy a camera and take a photography class, write loads of good content, be proficient in branding and graphic design, be on every social media platform, etc. This is all very good advice, I'm sure! But if I did all that first, I'd never start a blog! I'm still outlining the reasons in my head about why I am blogging and deciding whether or not I'll even continue to blog, but here are the reasons so far that I'm going to keep trying this out for awhile:

1. Perfectionism - I have that disease. Like don't start anything or do anything unless it's going to be perfect.  Well, when you have 3 kids, 4 yrs old and under, it's about impossible to make anything "perfect," let alone a blog post, without yelling at them and/or ignoring them, or at least it is for me. (Props to the moms who can, because I'm sure there are some out there).  Blogging is a way to get stuff out there in it's imperfect form and just be okay with that.  I have to get over the fact that my house, my food, my photos, my writing is far from perfect. That's uncomfortable so that's good.

2. Learning  - I'm a gen X-er. Techie, bloggy stuff isn't second nature to me.  One of my goals is to figure out some of the technical aspects of this blog that are clearly lacking so far.  This is totally simple stuff, like categorizing my posts and creating a nav bar.

3. Vulnerability - This kind of goes along with combating perfectionism.  I have some posts in draft form that are much more vulnerable than recipes or tiny house stuff.  Stay tuned to see if I get that brave!

4. Recording - I do want to record these years. Our kids are small.  Our property is a mess. We're living between two houses.  When I look back at the pictures from even a few years ago, I'm amazed at how quickly things change.

Same corner of the little house separated by six years.

 Pole barn house taking shape!


I really wish I had better pictures. Maybe I should heed those "15 Mistakes Amateur Bloggers Make" posts and work on getting some better photos.  I'd also love to comb through some more photos for some better before/after shots, but my 2 yr old wants me to read her a book, so "publish," imperfect as it is.

I'd love to read your blog about nothing if you have one!  And if you don't have one and you want to, write one!  I'll read it. I'll even comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment